Sierra Assembly has always emphasized on creating and delivering high quality custom PCB assemblies. Our immense material knowledge and PCB assembly expertise allow us to take up any challenging PCB project. We support our clients by providing services such as a schematic Gerber files, complete PCB assembly and production, quick turn PCB assembly, and prototyping.
Introduction to Various PCB Materials Used by Sierra Assembly
We always focus on two aspects when selecting materials for manufacturing PCBs:
- Choice of the right material
- Quality of the selected material
We understand that the longevity and performance of PCBs will depend on the above factors. The below list features some materials that we regularly work with:
- FR-4: FR is an abbreviation of Flame Retardant. This material is a glass fiber epoxy laminate, and a popular PCB material. The material derives its flame retardant qualities from a resin binder. The FR-4 exhibits high electrical insulation properties, good fabrication capabilities, and low moisture absorption capabilities. The standard rigid FR4 material is used for designing highly dense and multilayered circuits.
- FR-5: This is a glass fabric reinforced material featuring an epoxy resin binder for high temperature applications. FR-5 exhibits excellent mechanical properties at high temperatures and humid conditions. The material is valued for its high mechanical strength, good dielectric constant, low moisture absorption, and high chemical resistance.
- FR-3: This material features a composition of an epoxy resin binder and hard paper. This is used for budget-friendly consumer electronics.
- CEM Materials: CEM is an abbreviation for Composite Epoxy Materials, which refers to a group of composite materials produced from non-woven glass, woven glass fabric surfaces. These materials are then combined with epoxy synthetic resins. We use the following CEM materials for PCB design.
: This is a flame-retardant material featuring a cellulose paper laminate, and a single layer of woven glass fabric.
: This material features a woven glass fabric surface and cellulose paper core.
This flame retardant material shares similar properties as FR-4.
This material looks similar to CEM-3, but is not flame-retardant.
This material features a polyester woven glass core.
Special Materials for High Frequency Circuit Boards
We undertake complex projects involving high frequency circuit boards. Here are some typical materials that we use for such circuits:
- Rogers Corporation: These materials are FR-4 compatible, and provide excellent results due to beneficial mechanical properties such as low dielectric loss, low signal loss, high thermal conductivity, and controlled impedance.
- Arlon: We employ Arlons DiClad and CuClad series for high frequency PCBs. The DiClad series are low loss laminates, and CuClad is cross-plied woven PTFE/fiberglass.
- High Tg: This refers to high glass transition temperature. We employ these materials for PCBs used in critical and demanding applications. The material offers good performance at high temperatures, and exhibits a good delamination property.
- Pyralux: These materials are used for flexible circuit boards. This polyamide material resists heat, exhibits good dimensional stability, and has a low dielectric constant.
At Sierra Assembly, we provide customized PCBs to meet specific client requirements. This demonstrates our capability to work with a variety of composites and substrates, apart from the ones discussed above. We ensure that all our board products and processes comply with ISO, RoHS, and IPC regulations. To know more about using the right material for your PCB, or any of our PCB assembly processes, contact us on our toll-free number 909.355.5400
or email us at email@example.com